April 12, 2010

Weekend Recap

I had the perfect balance of busy and relaxing this weekend: Shannon's sister had her baby shower on Saturday, and it was good to see his family again; then on Sunday, Shannon and I relaxed at home.

Stuff bought: a box of lemon sorbet cups from the Dollar Tree, burger and fries for each of us and a beer for Shannon at Golden Valley Brewery in McMinnville, a bottle of Squirt, and a bottle of Langers Cran-Ras juice.

The Dollar Tree surprised me.  We went in to buy supplies for the baby shower, but everything was made in China.  In the end, Shannon remembered that they carry these yummy lemon sorbet cups that I really like, and we found that they're (surprisingly) made in America.  Sweet!

I was happy about dinner at the pub - the menu showed that they're ingredients are local (thank you, Oregon!) and since it's a brewery, we knew that the beer came from the pub itself.  Come to think of it, I'm a little curious where they got their ingredients for the beer...But I'll track that down later.

The annoying thing about the weekend was, oddly enough, the juice buying.  Shannon and I had decided to go on a drive to break up the monotony of the day, and before leaving grabbed some drinkage.  I made a beeline for the juice and tea.

Ocean Spray: no country of origin labeling
Lipton: no country of origin labeling
Tazo: MADE IN THE U.S.A!

I grabbed a bottle of Brambleberry and took a closer look, reveling in the little "Made in the U.S.A." marking.

At which point I noticed it also said: "from imported ingredients."

Damn it, Tazo!  Why do you have to be so scrupulously honest?

I consoled myself by looking at the ingredient list, where I knew I'd find "pure cane sugar" as the number two ingredient, which it was.  (I hate drinking teas that are full of sugar, a shoe that Tazo sadly fits entirely too well.)  In the end I grabbed a bottle of Langers Cran-Ras juice and went back to the car.

Where I discovered that it's second ingredient is sugar as well.

I'm wondering now if I shouldn't have bought Tazo instead.  After all, at least they were honest enough to mention that their ingredients may be imported.

Any opinions on this?  And does anyone know where I can get American made juice and tea without a ton of sugar?

UPDATE:  I looked into Ocean Spray, but couldn't find anything about where they source their ingredients.  I did, however, find the MSDS for their cranberry puree. *nerdglee*

No comments:

Post a Comment