April 24, 2010

Soap! and other Saturday Market Adventures

Another Saturday, another trip to Saturday Market.

We've been eating the eggs we got last week like crazy, so we had to pick up a few more.  They're from La Terra Vita, if anyone's curious, which has impressive organic credentials that you can read about on their website.  Besides the eggs being yummy, Shannon ans I always look forward to seeing Art at the market, because he has such a gentle nature that it's just easy to interact with him.

Also, we were running low on soap, so we got a bar from the S.L.A.B. stand!



I've been wanting to try out their soap for a long time now, but haven't really had an excuse to go buy any.  (I use soap that people give me for Christmas and birthdays; I do not avoid using soap, because that would be gross.  And it's saved me from buying soap almost my whole life out of my parents house - so there!)  I forgot to ask where they get their oils, but it's fun to think that my soap was just made downtown.  And the smell!  I wish I could transmit it over the internet.  Since the soap's going in Shannon's bathroom, he picked the scent: Plumeria.  It's such a gorgeous scent I'm tempted to swap with the non-anti-bacterial soap from Bath and Body Works that Megan gave me the other day.  It smells great too, but more manly - so Shannon should take it so I can wash with the yummy-smelling Plumeria!

Maybe I'll just start using his bathroom instead.

I was thinking again today about how lucky we are to live in the Valley.  Besides that it's a great place to grow just about anything that CAN grow, the people here have really high standards for the things they buy, and it's easy for us to find things that aren't just domestically produced, but locally grown, raised, or made, and usually from low-impact, recycled, or organic materials.  I mean, I started this venture for the economy, but the more I think about it, I'm probably doing more good to the environment.  My soap probably spent 2 minutes driving to Saturday Market (and if I'd bought from the S.L.A.B. storefront, it wouldn't even have had that), and was made in a location in town, without weird chemicals; the eggs had to come in from Scio (about 25 miles away) but are also from hens that aren't being fed bizarre animal bi-products or being treated with antibiotics; the apples I bought the other day were grown about an hour and a half or two hours away instead of being flown in from New Zealand...  It's a win-win all the way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment