April 14, 2010

The Meat.....

I love WhereIsMyMilkFrom.com so much, I wish that there was a corresponding site for every kind of food product.  I've been trying to track down similar sites, but to no avail.

Finally, I just gave up and decided to do a little research with some of the bigger companies.  I think it's pretty obvious that our local eggs came from down the road, our local pork is from just out of town....But what if it's not Saturday, so I can't get something I know was grown and raised within 20 miles?

I wrote to Foster Farms to see where their farms are.  Although I'm always a little leery about non-organic (or, in the case of fish, non-wild caught) meat, I know it's not always the easiest thing to find or cheapest to buy.  One bonus for Foster Farms: a cursory glance at their FAQ shows that any protein that goes into the feed comes from the US, which is a start.  We'll see what they have to say about everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment