April 09, 2010

Chinese-Swedish-American Candles

The baby shower is tomorrow, so I went out to buy a few last things for presents.

Okay, I'll admit it.  I bought them at Goodwill.  (It's so cheap and so good - you can't NOT find awesome stuff there!)

Goodwill I think is particularly interesting because - in my opinion, at least - the origin of the things you buy there doesn't really matter.  The profit to the manufacturer has already been made; Goodwill takes items for free that have already made their impact on the economy then collects 100% of the profit from selling them, thereby supporting the local economy at 100%.

Take for example, the candles I bought: distributed by Ikea (a Swedish company) and made in China.  But totally okay for my conscience, because I'm buying it at Goodwill.


In other news, if I by a product made in China by a Swedish company from an American store, does that create some kind of bizarre paradox?

No comments:

Post a Comment