September 22, 2010

My White Powder of Choice

Do you remember when we were kids, and we were always asked what our favorite things were?  Favorite color (green, by the way), favorite food (maguro-don), favorite animal (Ebola virus; unless you point out that viruses aren't strictly "alive," in which case gut flora; unless you point out that bacteria aren't even in the same taxonomic domain as animals, in which case baby ducks, I guess).  But no one ever asked you what your favorite chemical was, did they?  Well, in my quest to Be Prepared For Things That Will Never Happen, I've chosen a favorite chemical: sodium bicarbonate.  That's right, I <3 BAKING SODA.

Although it's closely followed by salt (I mean, seriously, even disregarding it's flavoring qualities, how can you NOT like salt?!), baking soda takes the cake just because it's so useful that I don't quite know what I'd do without it.

Now, understand, I'm a hippie at heart.  I recycle copiously, prefer local organic food, use cloth diapers on my baby, and highly value peace, love, and understanding.  Okay, so that doesn't make me sound so much like a hippie as a yuppie, but the hippie cred really shines through when it comes to personal hygiene.  Enter baking soda.  I wash my hair with baking soda.  I use baking soda as deodorant.  I brush my teeth with baking soda and salt (see - salt!).  And I'm prepping to move to toilet cloth (also know as the "family cloth," which term always makes me puke a little inside), which doesn't so much have to do with baking soda as it does with my hippie cred.

...

Moving along.

Baking soda is incredible.  It deodorizes.  It cleans.  It polishes.  It's non-toxic and EDIBLE for God's sake.  What more could you want out of any given chemical, let alone those in your house?  Besides being part of my current plans, it's also part of a lot of my future plans: homemade laundry soap, homemade dish soap, homemade carpet deodorizer, homemade facial exfoliant...

And it's made in New Jersey.  Could this stuff possibly be any better?!

No comments:

Post a Comment